€ 1,00 – Forth Bridge, Scotland
The Forth Bridge, spans the estuary of the River Forth in eastern Scotland and links Fife to Edinburgh by railway. When it was opened in 1890 by the then Prince of Wales, it was the longest cantilever bridge in the world and the first major crossing made entirely of steel.
At 2,529 metres today, it remains one of the greatest cantilever trussed bridges and continues to operate as an important passenger and freight rail bridge. This enormous structure, with its distinctive industrial aesthetic and striking red colour, was conceived and built using advanced civil engineering design principles and construction methods. Innovative in design, materials, and scale, the Forth Bridge is an extraordinary and impressive milestone in bridge design and construction during the period when railways came to dominate long-distance land travel.
The site was inscribed on the World Heritage list in 2015.